What is Changing Places?
Kingkraft are proud to support the Changing Places Consortium campaign which helps to meet the needs of over a quarter of a million people who cannot use standard public toilets.
Whilst for many people standard toilets are accessible, they can prove to be a difficult challenge and barrier to others. This affects thousands of families including those with children and teenagers with profound physical and learning disabilities and conditions, as well as older people and those with conditions such as motor neurone disease, cerebral palsy and multiple sclerosis.
Safe & comfortable
Unfortunately 'disabled facilities' are not always suitable for all people with disabilities/difficulties. Standard disabled toilets do provide some adaptations; however, for those with more complex needs they do not even provide adequate equipment or space which can make using these facilities dangerous, unhygienic and undignified.
The Changing Places initiative is aimed at providing a fully accessible, safe and comfortable place for people to access toilets or to use as a changing place. These purpose-designed spaces provide more space and specialist equipment for the user/family/carer, including height adjustable changing benches and hoists.
Who can use Changing Places?
- 40,000 people with profound and multiple learning disabilities
- 130,000 older people
- 30,000 people with cerebral palsy
- 13,000 people with an acquired brain injury
- 8,500 people with Multiple Sclerosis
- 8,000 people with Spina Bifida
- 5000 people with Motor Neurone Disease
Making a difference
Since the campaign launched in 2006, Kingkraft are proud to have worked with major construction companies and venue teams to provide numerous changing places across variable venue types- including airports, leisure centres and arenas.
We feel it is important that everyone is supported in their right to have access to safe and comfortable facilities. We believe in making a difference to people's lives and are proud that our work and adaptations can allow ALL families to visit and enjoy venues and attractions. Giving people the confidence to attend these places, particularly children and teenagers, overcomes the barriers that have previously hindered their ability to attend, and opens up opportunity and enjoyment equally and to all.
What we can provide
Kingkraft can provide and install numerous adaptations to meet the needs of all. These include:
- Changing tables (mobile or wall-mounted in a variety of sizes)
- Toilets (bidet or standard with raised pan and back support)
- Room cover hoist system with full room charging
- Range of high/low basins
- Fold down support arms and vertical grab rails (in a range of colours and sizes)
- Paper towel dispensers (variety of sizes)
- Privacy screens
- Electric showers
Who we've helped so far
Kingkraft have been involved with the following changing placesfacilities:
- William Merrit Centre, Leeds
- Headingly HEART
- My Place Middlesbrough
- Neptune Leisure Centre, Middlesbrough
- Chester Zoo
- Leicester City Football Club
- Shoeburyness Leisure Centre, Southend-on-Sea
- Heathrow Airport Terminal 2 and Terminal 3
Kingkraft offer free consultations to provide specialist advice regarding the requirements needed to meet the Changing Places standards and requirements regarding disabled access toilets outlined in BS8300. This will include a computerised drafted layout drawing which demonstrates the space layout.
For more information speak to a member of the team on 0114 2690697 or send an email to: email@example.com